Visual Arts Open Call
Westival 2019 takes inspiration from, and pays homage to the theme ‘BRITTLE / FRAGILE’. The festival’s heart, its flagship visual-arts exhibition, will reflect this theme by inviting artist submissions working in one or more of the following media: drawing, printing, installation, painting, performance, photography, digital art, sculpture, sound art, video, mixed media, decorative art (textiles and material, glass, wood, metal, ceramics, mosaic, paper or other techniques).
This year’s Westival calls on artists to contemplate how art can bring our awareness to the brittle and fragile nature of existence. Artists present the world in new ways, and it is the artist’s role to show us aspects of existence which we may not have noticed. Westival invites visual artists, of all kinds, to shed light on
the inherent vulnerability of being which is at once beautiful and breakable. The theme is wide open to a myriad of interpretations, and fertile ground for creativity.
The application deadline is August 16th 2019. The cost of entry is €15 for up to three pieces to be considered. If you have a full show for consideration please note this in your application.
Please read the full terms of entry below.
- The external judging panel has final say on selected work. Westival’s director or board of management will not influence this decision or include additional works.
- You must complete payment of €15 by following the link at the end of the application form for your work to be considered.
- Submitted work must be available for sale.
- All works of art are acceptable so long as they fit the brief.
- Film-based work may be submitted as part of the online process (YouTube or Vimeo link is essential).
- Large-scale work will be considered.
- All applications must be made exclusively by website application form. The application must be completed in full.
- The festival will not accept applications made by post, email, or in person.
- Applications will not be accepted after 6 pm on the 16th Aug 2019.
- The images must be of the work to be hung in the exhibition.
- The committee will contact all applicants by early Sept 2019.
- Works must be delivered to the exhibition space in Westport no later than the 30th Sept 2019.
- Any works not sold must be collected from the exhibition space by 2nd November 2018.
- The utmost care will be taken of all works submitted for exhibition, but neither Westival, nor the organising committee will be responsible for any damage, loss of, or destruction to, any works for any reason whatsoever. Any insurance should, therefore, be affected by the artist against all risks.
- Copyright of all work is the property of the artist. Westival reserves the right to use images submitted in our advertising and future publicity.