Visual Arts Open Call
Westival is now accepting submissions for display at the group exhibition show in the Westival Gallery from the 21st - 26th October 2020.
During the Covid-19 lockdown, we have all experienced our world in new ways. A halt to our wanderlust has created new appreciation for our back gardens, byroads and those in our community that helped us through these difficult times. This year artists are asked to submit work that responds to the following quote:
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring. Will be to arrive where we started. And know the place for the first time." T. S. Eliot - 1955
The Westival Open Call has been growing in momentum for the past three years, due to the excellent level of submissions and the spectacular gallery space. High ceilings and large floors have allowed for the exhibiting of major work; such as selected pieces from Alice Maher's 'The Night Garden'.
Each year we look for something different within the open call, last year we took a large number of entries and the gallery was hung in a French Salon style. This year we are looking for artists to not just respond to the T.S Elliott quote but also works that can respond to the space. As such we will be hanging the gallery in a sparser fashion this year, to give space to the work and for it to find its place within this fantastic setting.
The application deadline is Sept 13th 2020. The cost of entry is €15 for up to three pieces to be considered. Temporary installation, video/ film and performance works will be considered this year for inclusion.
Westival Visual Curator Vincent O’Donoghue.
Martina Hamilton, Director of the Hamilton Gallery Sligo.
Áine Phillips, West of Ireland visual artist and academic.
Please read the full terms of entry below.
- The external judging panel has the final say on selected work.
- You must complete payment of €15 by following the link at the end of the application form for your work to be considered.
- Submitted work must be available for sale (unless the work is specified as video/ film, installation or performance) and you will be asked to apply a retail price on each piece in your application.
- A commission of 30% to Westival applies to all artworks that are sold. You may if you wish, add this outside of your desired price.
- All mediums are acceptable so long as they fit the brief.
- Please size in CM.
- Video/ film-based work may be submitted as part of the online process (YouTube or Vimeo link is essential). Modes of display and equipment required for such works should be carefully described.
- Large-scale work will be considered.
- Installation or performance works will be considered although due to the space limitations and COVID-19 restrictions only a small number of such works can be included. Detailed descriptions of installation or performance requirements should be provided.
- All applications must be made exclusively through the website application form. The application must be completed in full. Please ensure you submit good quality images of the works.
- The festival will not accept applications made by post, email, or in person.
- Applications will not be accepted after 6 pm on the 13th Sept 2020.
- The images must be of the work to be hung in the exhibition.
- The visual arts committee will contact all applicants at the end of Sept 2019.
- Works must be delivered to the exhibition space in Westport no later than the 14th Oct 2020.
- Installation, video/film and performances that may need to be created by the artist in situ will be facilitated on the 12th - 14th October.
- Any works not sold must be collected from the exhibition space by Oct 30th.
- The utmost care will be taken of all works submitted for exhibition, but neither Westival, nor the organising committee will be responsible for any damage, loss of, or destruction to, any works for any reason whatsoever. Any insurance should, therefore, be affected by the artist against all risks.
- Copyright of all work is the property of the artist. Westival reserves the right to use images submitted in our advertising and future publicity.